We all know that we will reach the elderly stage of life sooner or later, but do we consider in what state of health we will age or we want to age? It is clear that the quality of life we have during childhood and adulthood will play an important role in our health in the so-called ‘third age’, but what are the factors that we should take into account? The World Health Organization (WHO) in an article on the aging of the population highlights that “healthy aging begins with healthy habits in earlier phases of life.” These habits include diet, physical activity or exposure to health risks. Certainly, from a certain age, we must begin to take into account certain factors. Here are essential tips to prepare for a healthy old age.
- Eat well. A varied and balanced diet is essential. Fruits and vegetables are our best allies. On the contrary, fatty foods and sugar should be taken in moderation.
- Take care of your body. Having regular medical check-ups is important for optimal health maintenance, as well as to be able to detect possible irregularities in time.
- Take care of your mind. Be mentally active, avoid stressful situations as much as possible, or in any case, learn to control
- Avoid risks. Tobacco and alcohol abuse clearly do not play in your favor, reduce your consumption or eliminate it completely.
- Keep learning. Never lose your curiosity. Read books or magazines, participate in debates or you can even learn to use the internet or get started on social networks.
- Physical exercise Performing physical activity in a moderate and constant way will favor our mobility in the long term. Daily walks are one of the best activities, always respecting the capacity of each one.
- Taking care of the house and adapting it in the same way that we make changes at home with the arrival of a baby, with the arrival of old age we can also make small changes at home. Changing the bathtub for a shower tray or adapting the heights of appliances such as the washing machine can prevent muscle injuries due to bad posture.
- Relate. Leaving home, interacting, getting informed, meeting new things and people will expand our social circle. Visiting museums, going to the theater or going out to dinner will help you to have a positive attitude and to have aspirations.
- Accept and enjoy the position you occupy in the family. If your children are older or retired, take advantage of it. You no longer have to be aware of everything, enjoy this well-deserved rest and take the opportunity to do that thing you have always wanted to do.
- Accept aging and enjoy it. Be realistic, you’re not 20 anymore, but this doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it. Old age is another step in life where experience and wisdom emerge, accept this new role and try to get the most out of it.
When you finally get to the point in life where you have to enter a Jacksonville Florida assisted living facility, you will still be healthy, active, and want to enjoy the rest of your life in a safe environment.